2016 IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability
The submission deadline for the SusTech 2016 Call for Papers Abstracts has been extended from June 3 to June 24.
Sustainability: the pursuit of environmentally sound development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the future.
Source: UN Document A/42/427: Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future, August 1987
Authors are invited to submit their research results in technologies for sustainability in any of the following areas:
- Internet of Things – IOT (e.g.: Sensors, computing, control, communication, storage and drive electronics targeted for IOT applications, medical electronics, drones)
- Smart Grid (e.g. communication, control, power electronics, energy storage, demand control and response)
- eWaste (e.g. reduction, conversion, disposal, recycling, reuse, harvesting, managing product lifecycle)
- Renewable Energy (e.g. solar, wind, tidal, fuel cells, energy harvesting, nuclear, thermal, power distribution)
- Water (e.g. Sourcing & distribution, conservation, harvesting, waste disposal, reuse)
- Electronics (e.g. components and systems, sustainable manufacturing, automotive and industrial applications)
- Energy Efficiency (e.g. sensing and measurement, energy saving, auto electrification & fuel economy, data centers)
- Transportation (e.g. electric & autonomous vehicles, aviation, motors, drive controls, batteries)
- Quality of Life / Societal Implications (e.g. global warming, sustainability education, human resources, risk management, remediation, public policy)
Tutorials, Workshops and Papers are solicited for both oral session and informal (poster) presentation from industry, government and academia (including students) covering relevant research, technologies, methodologies, tools and case studies.
For Papers, only original papers that have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere will be considered.
Publisher: The Conference Proceedings will be published in IEEE Xplore®.
Article Length: Abstracts for submission are 2 pages (“extended abstract”). Final papers (manuscript) must be from 4-8 pages inclusive.
Number of Papers: Each author is allowed to present a maximum of two papers. If you have more than two papers accepted, you must register accompanying co-author(s) to present the additional papers.
No Show Policy: Papers will be published in the conference proceedings only if at least one of the authors is officially registered and the paper presented. IEEE reserves the right to exclude a paper from distribution after the conference (e.g., removal from IEEE Xplore) if the paper is not presented at the conference.
Registration: Authors must register for the conference.
- Each full author registration covers a maximum of two papers.
- Student registration will cover a single-paper final submission and presentation.
Authorization to publish: IEEE assumes that material presented at its conferences or submitted to its publications is properly available for general dissemination to the audiences these activities are organized to serve. It is the responsibility of the authors, not IEEE, to determine whether disclosure of their material requires the prior consent of other parties and, if so, to obtain it. In order to ensure that the authors are aware of their responsibilities, signed IEEE Copyright Forms must be collected for all papers accepted for publication.
Plagiarism check: Each paper will be verified using plagiarism checking system(s) to ensure all referenced material is properly cited and not previously published.
Quality: IEEE reserves the right to withhold publishing of proceedings or papers that do not meet the IEEE quality standards.
- 2-page extended abstract submission deadline:
- Acceptance notification:
- Early registration opens: 30-June
- Full paper submission deadline: 15-August
- Early Registration ends: 15-August
Authors are requested to submit an extended 2-page abstract. Deadline for submission is 24-June-2016. The 2-page abstract can be more easily developed into the final paper.
Accepted and presented papers will be published in the conference proceedings. Content that meet IEEE quality standards will be submitted for inclusion in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library. Note that some papers may be accepted for informal presentation (using posters).
There are two common forms of OA. The first, referred to as “Gold OA”, is an author‐pays approach. The author (Or author’s employer/funding agency) pays a charge to ensure that the final version of an article is made openly available to the public—that is, no subscription is needed to view the article. The second is “Green OA”. In this form of OA, an “as accepted for publication” (that is, not final) version of the article is self‐archived by the author in a public space, such as on a personal Web page or in an institutional repository. Conference authors may post their own versions of their papers as accepted by a conference, to comply with Green OA practice.
There several steps to submitting your abstract and paper:
- Abstract Preparation: Prepare the Abstract content using the IEEE SusTech paper template (see Formatting below). Submit a 2-page extended abstract to give a clear indication of the objective, scope, and results of the paper for the reviewers. Later the abstract can be easily expanded to the full paper.
- Author Registration: Register a “lead author” with EDAS (if the lead author is not already registered). The lead author will submit the abstract and later the full paper. EDAS will send an email with the password. The author’s email address and the password will be used to access the system to submit the abstract and later the final paper.
- Change Password Credentials in EDAS (optional). Change the default password to one that is easier to remember.
- Abstract Submission: Submit the abstract at https://edas.info/N22430. This is a unique site with EDAS for the SusTech 2016 Conference.
- Provide paper title and summary content of the proposed paper (approximately 100 words) – EDAS may refer to this as an “abstract”. This is not your paper’s 2-page abstract.
- Select the topic(s) with which your paper corresponds.
- Submit, wait for paper registration confirmation from the EDAS system.
- Add primary author name – click on paper number link.
You will receive a confirmation email that contains a link you will use to submit your 2-page extended abstract for the paper. Note: When you click the link the first time – before your abstract is submitted/approved, the EDAS system will prompt you to submit the 2-page abstract in PDF. [Do not upload your full (final) paper until you receive an email that your abstract has been accepted and the EDAS system prompts you to submit a manuscript.]
- Upload PDF of your abstract.
- Final Paper/Manuscript Submission: When your Abstract has been accepted by the Program Committee you will receive an email. When your final paper is ready, login to the EDAS system and select the “My Papers” menu item. EDAS will show your papers. Select your paper and use the ‘Upload Paper’ icon to upload your full paper in PDF. You may upload any number of times until the deadline. If you encounter any warning or errors, see the Formatting section below.
Please contact the Program Committee using this form if you have any questions about submitting your abstract or manuscript.
During the abstract submission process via EDAS, the authors are required to make sure the PDF file and the EDAS registration page for a paper have the same list of authors and the same paper title. Be certain to add all authors in EDAS during the submission process. Fail to comply with this rule and your abstract may be withdrawn from the review process. Once reviewed, the listing of authors connected to the paper cannot be changed in the final manuscript.
For information on formatting your submission you can refer to the IEEE Author Digital Toolbox at http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors/authors_journals.html and the IEEE Manuscript Templates for Conference Proceedings at http://www.ieee.org/go/conferencepublishing/templates which has standard IEEE Transactions templates for Microsoft Word or LaTeX formats.
The format for the abstract and full paper (manuscript) must satisfy the following requirements:
- Manuscript must be in English
- The manuscript must follow IEEE two-column format (see templates) with single-spaced, ten-point font in the text. The minimum manuscript length is four (4) and the maximum length is eight (8) pages. Papers longer than eight pages will not be accepted for publication. All figures, tables, references, etc. are included in the page limit.
- The order of the authors in the paper must match the order of the authors in the paper registration.
- Authors MUST submit their papers electronically using EDAS as described above.
- Papers must be submitted in Portable Document Format (PDF) format.
- All fonts must be embedded in the PDF file (in Word, create the PDF with “ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)” option). For MACs use ‘Print to PDF’ process.
- No Bookmarks.
- No hyperlinks. [In Word to remove all hyperlinks in a document, press CTRL+A to select the entire document and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F9.]
Signed IEEE Copyright Forms must be collected for all papers accepted for publication.
SusTech has enabled the EDAS IEEE eCopyright function (ECF). With ECF, authors are redirected to an IEEE web site and fill in the IEEE copyright form on the web. The ECF then reports completion of the web form to EDAS, allowing the author to upload the form. Thus, authors do not have to print, fill out and upload copyright forms manually.
Authors of accepted papers can submit copyright forms via the (c) link in the ‘My Papers’ tab, as shown below.
A link can also be found on each paper page.
Authors can amend their submissions online up until the submission deadline. Login to your account and you can upload a new PDF.
If you are unable to submit your paper online, please email the Program Committee by this form or telephone to 1-480-734-0266 (US).
Guidelines for submitting your full final paper
- Formatting must comply with the stated requirements (see IEEE template).
- Authors must complete the IEEE Copyright Assignment form.
- All papers must be checked for plagiarism.
- All papers must be PDF verified, either with the paper processing system, or through the IEEE PDF eXpress system before submission.
Using IEEE PDF eXpress
We encourage authors to check their final full papers for IEEE SUSTECH 2016 using the IEEE PDF eXpress system http://www.pdf-express.org before they are submitted to the conference in EDAS. Here are the basic instructions for using PDF eXpress:
- Dates: Site opens: 3-Jun-16; Submission deadline: 15-Aug-16.
- First-time users: Go to http://www.pdf-express.org. Select “New Users – Click Here“, then enter your email address and a memorable password, and the Conference ID 38717X.
- Previous users: Go to http://www.pdf-express.org. Enter 38717X for the Conference ID, your email address, and enter the password you used for your old account. When you click “Login“, you’ll receive an error saying you need to set up an account. Simply click “Continue“. By entering your previously used email address and password combination, you will enable your old account for access to the SusTech conference.
- You will receive online and email confirmation of successful account setup.
- For each conference paper, click “Create New Title“.
- Enter identifying text for the paper (title is recommended).
- Click “Submit PDF for checking” or “Submit Source Files for Conversion“.
- Indicate platform, source file type (if applicable), click “Browse” and navigate to file, and click “Upload File“. You will receive online and email confirmation of successful upload.
- You will receive an email with your Checked PDF or the IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF attached. If you submitted a PDF for Checking, the email will show if your file passed or failed.
- If your PDF submitted fails the check: Submit your source file again by clicking “Try again“, Read the PDF Check Report, then click “The PDF Check Report” in the sidebar to get information on possible solutions, or Request Technical Help through your account.
- If you are not satisfied with the IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF: Resubmit your source file with corrections by clicking “Try again“, or if that fails, “Request a Manual Conversion“through your account.
- If the PDF submitted passed the check: If the PDF passed, or you are satisfied with your IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF, submit your IEEE Xplore compatible PDF using the Submission Process above.
For questions regarding PDF eXpress, you can contact the IEEE Publications Support Center. Also, please see related FAQ at: http://www.ieee.org/web/publications/faqs/index.html. Please ensure to quote your abstract ID in all correspondence.
If you have any questions, please contact the Program Committee using this form.
If you need a travel Visa for the United States, see this page.
- SusTech 2022 Proceedings Published in IEEE Xplore
- SusTech Talk June 2022 – Making ESG and SDG Standards Work!
- SusTech 2022 Student Poster Contest Winners
- SusTech 2022 Program Updates – CEU/PDH
- Planet Positive 2030
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Learn about 2022 Committee Members
San Fernando Valley Section
Coastal Los Angeles Section