Workshop – Home Automation IoT
This hands-on live online 4-hour workshop (+ 1 hour pre-check session) will help attendees explore and simulate a home automation system using the Arduino based Bytes & Bots Innovator Board, IoT, and Web Services.
Participants will create a simple host using a cloud based web service to connect to the Bytes & Bots Innovator board. The cloud based server will use MQTT to transfer data to the board. The UI will be in HTML and the backend will be served by python.
Upon successful completion of the workshop the participants will be able to demonstrate a simulated home automation system.
Upon Successful Completion the workshop attendees will:
- Be familiar with Arduino and Arduino C language
- Have a basic understanding of microcontrollers, input/output and programming vocabulary
- Understand Server requests using MQTT and IoT
- Have a basic understanding of electronics
Those who successfully complete the workshop and demonstrate their working project will earn a Bytes & Bots Skills Badge.
Date: 24th April 2021 Saturday
Time: 10am – 2.30pm PST (with 30-minute lunch break)
Duration: 4 hours
Pre-Workshop/Readiness Check Session: 17th April – Saturday from 10 AM – 11AM PST. Mentors will be available for assistance and questions.
Workshop Fee: $150 (Includes hardware kit, US shipping, and live online workshop and readiness check session)
Workshop Registration Link: https://ieee-sustech.org/register/ (Limit: 20); select Workshop option
Must register by March 31, 2021 for shipment of kit
Workshop Zoom link will be sent to registrants one week prior to the workshop.
WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES
- Arduino Software Download Link
- Internet Access to attend the workshop via Zoom
- An optional smart phone with a camera to share video of your project to the mentor for any troubleshooting and technical assistance
FOR QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
|Apr 17, 2021||PRE-CHECK DAY @ 10am – 11am PST|
|60 min||Introduction and System Readiness Check|
|Apr 24, 2021||WORKSHOP: 10:00am – 2:30pm PST|
|30 min||Setup Cloud Web Services|
|30 min||Bytes & Bots Innovator Board Setup|
|45 min||Coding to send/receive data|
|Lunch Break (Working lunch OK. It will give you more time!)|
|45 min||Build UI|
|45 min||Testing and Debugging|
|45 min||Project Presentation by Workshop Attendees. Take a selfie video of the completed project demo and upload it and enter to win a prize|
BYTES & BOTS INNOVATOR KIT INFO
You can use this kit for this workshop and it is reusable for other projects.
Will be shipped to attendees in advance. (Must register by March 31, 2021 for timely shipping)
HOME AUTOMATION IOT WORKSHOP TRAINER: https://BYTESANDBOTS.COM
- Bytes & Bots Innovator Board
- USB (Type A)
- Temperature/Humidity Sensor
- ESP Wifi board
- 10 x LEDs
- 10 x Resistors
- 1 x Breadboard
- M/F wires
- SusTech Talk Feb 2023: Connectivity Standards Alliance & Matter Introduction
- SusTech Talk Dec 2022: Sustainability Topics Going on at IEEE
- SusTech 2023 Student Poster Contest
- Announcing SusTech 2023 Call for Late Papers
- Announcing SusTech 2023 Call for Papers and Reviewers
Learn about 2022 Committee Members